Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Brayden Turns ONE!

A belated post but one I've been waiting to do...

Thursday Brayden turned ONE! My baby is a toddler. Wow - what a year! I sat at the dinner table Thursday night with Steve after Brayden went to bed and shared moments/memories of the day Brayden was born. I remember it like it was yesterday...

On Monday June 4th, we made a trip to L&D around 10PM. I can't help but laugh now when I think back at it...we were laying in bed - timing my contractions, when they got to 4-5 minutes apart we packed up and got in the car. But - the funny thing was - I wasn't even in pain, just a bit uncomfortable. It was my first go-around with this. I didn't know what I was looking for or waiting to feel - could this be it? Of course, once we got to the hospital the nurses knew I wasn't in labor but hooked me up to the monitor and checked to see if I had dilated. 2CM! So you know the drill...well those of you who've had babies do - WALK! It was late, I was tired, I knew it wasn't time. I felt silly walking the floor with other soon to be mommies who could barely stand up when their contraction hit. Needless to say - the nurse told me - YOU'LL KNOW! But will I?

So we headed home to get some rest - we would need it for what was to come...

Tuesday morning, Steve gets up and goes to work. I start my day...all morning I could feel my contractions but still no pain - AND THEN...as the afternoon went on...it got more and more intense. Not unbearable but definitely uncomfortable. I went for a walk, and made it only half way down the street - now I knew what those ladies in L&D the night before were going through...but still I was doubting was this it? I went home...laid in bed, the pain intensified. I got in the bathtub. Nothing soothed the pain. It's an indescribable feeling. FINALLY, I called Steve. He left work to head home, by now it was about 4:30PM. By the time Steve walked in the door - I was leaned over the bed crying - AND STILL...I didn't know if this was it. I think I was worried that it wasn't and didn't want to look foolish going back to the hospital where I was just 12 short hours ago. SO - Steve and I started some of our techniques we learned in LaMaze class...we did this for about 30 minutes until finally Steve said - "Lets Go...It's Time". So off we went. I'd never seen Steve in such a state of panic. He was feeling everything I was...excitement, nervous, anxious, scared...he flew down the road w/his flashers on. Again, I laugh as I write this b/c I can see it like it was yesterday. He pulled up to the hospital, got me in a wheelchair and in to L&D we went. Truck still running, doors open, parked in the front of the hospital! :)

I think everyone knew we were new at this!

This time the nurses knew I was in labor and bypassed the screening and admitted me right away. I can honestly say I had never expierenced a pain like what I went through for those 2-3 hours. It was BAD! To make a long story short - I labored all night, but after I received my epidural, everything was so much better - I then reassured myself "I can do this". I remember being so dehydrated and just wanting to drink water so bad. I told Steve as soon as Brayden is born I want a huge glass of ice water waiting for me. I didn't get much sleep Tuesday night, b/c I was just to anxious. The nurses didn't really tell me much and I guess I thought it could happen any minute...didn't want to fall asleep and miss it. J/K! Around 7-7:30AM Wednesday June 4th, my doctor finally came in to see me (I had an appointment with her at 8:30 that morning). She checked me and said your at a 10, your ready! Brayden was born that morning at 9:38AM.

He was perfect! Beautiful! Healthy! 7lbs 2 oz.

Now, my 22.5 lb boy is ONE! Time goes by so fast when your having fun! We love him so much and although it's only been a year, we can't remember life without him.

I feel so blessed to have been able to spend the last year at home with him, it's something I never thought would be possible. I am so thankful to my husband for that! I never missed a beat. I was there for the first smile, first time he rolled over, when he started crawling ,first step. I don't know what the future holds for us, but I pray everyday that I'll be able to continue to stay at home w/him and watch him grow.

We had a big birthday celebration at our house Saturday. Pictures to come! We had a great day with friends and family. The much anticipated cake wasn't all it was built up to be...he must be like his mom - not big on sweets b/c he wanted nothing to do with it! I'm sure he'll make up for it next year. Below are a few pictures taken on his actual birthday. I baked a birthday cake and we had our own birthday party Thursday night.





Happy Birthday sweet Brayden! We love you so much!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe he's one... I need to bring the birthday boy a "one" present... Call you this week.

    ReplyDelete